Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tanjong Pager railway station.


The first time I went to the Tanjong Pagar railway station I was quite surprised by how well kept the place is despite that it was built almost a century ago.

To be honest I did not know there is actually another railway station in Singapore other than the one at Woodlands checkpoint. I asked my friend about it and he told me that the place is closing down on first of July this year and relocated to Woodlands instead. The first thing I thought of was I have got to ride it at least once before it shuts down.

When I first reached the train station I could really feel the 'old-ness' of the place. I could almost imagine it full of people bustling around when it was first opened. It was grand. I was quite fascinated by the 4 statues on the main entrance and learned that they actually represent Commerce, Agriculture, Industry and Transportation. The architecture of the place is really vintage as well. The main entrance is so full of little intricate details that I couldn't manage to take it all in.

Now that the station is shutting down I do hope that the place would not be tear down as it's full of rich cultures and it has so much to offer to those who have never visited the train station before. It should be kept as one of Singapore's unique heritage.

Joe Kang Tong Hwee
093489u
Grp 4

No comments:

Post a Comment