Friday, January 14, 2011

Singapore's Essence

Singapore is well known as a multi ethnic and multi cultural country. As such, I wanted to portray the temple's of the different races. I went to the Sultan Mosque, Armenian Church, Sri Mariamman Temple and the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple to do my sketches. I chose to draw these temples because they are the oldest temples in Singapore with a rich tradition.These temples are located around shophouses thus giving an old traditional look. I also wanted to focus on shophouses in Singapore which used to be a trademark of Singapore. Shophouses were once used as a home as well as a shop and they were located in housing estates. Nowadays, we only find a few of them and that too are being preserved in places like Chinatown & Little India. I hope that the shophouses do not vanish so that our future generations will know how Singapore was in the past.

Nalini
093450K
DA0903

No comments:

Post a Comment