Saturday, January 15, 2011

Fragments of Culture



  I actually started this thing not too sure what to do. I contemplated old sand and tiled playgrounds, or those old HDB flats with a different saturation of colour at every level. At the end, I asked my best friend, and she told me about Tanjong Pagar Railway. 

I must admit I didn't even know of such a place. I did abit of a search on it and was surprised it was going to move to Woodlands.

Today, I made a trip down and boy, was it really vintage. My dad got a paper ticket with holes to get into the carpark-- I haven't seen that since I was in Primary School. Outside, there were 4 statues- Agriculture, Commerce, Transport and Industry. The place just.. amazed me. It felt like I stepped onto some 70s movie set where they sent someone of via train, and everone in the crowd was in some kinda cheongsam, samfoo, or westernised clothes. Inside too, there were these beautiful montages made from tiles of the old life in Malaysia, and high ceilings and a really beautiful atmosphere to it. Even the archway in had carvings in it. It was really big and airy. The foodcourt really felt like malaysia with it's really laid back feeling and the rich smell of malay spices through the area.

My dad told me this was only his second time here, his first being something like 40 years ago to send my auntie for her honeymoon. He said the place didn't change at all. Throughout the morning there, he talked about how this used to be how Malaysia and Singapore traded and stuff, or how people really travelled 'cos it was easier. It felt like an adventure to the past. I'd love to go back again soon before it really closes down just to take more pictures, or to try the food, or to, maybe, take a trip down to JB. I felt abit sad I couldn't see a real train come in 'cos it was 11am and I'd only come at 1pm.

I drew the railway thinking I want to draw everything I liked in it. So I did the building, and added the wall with the montages and abit of light, the old rundown train left at the side, and the beautiful montages under the archway. It's really such a beautiful place and it really sucks that they are going to tear it down. It's really such a waste 'cos I feel that this place offers so much culture that singapore already has not much of, but I'm thankful that at least now, I have not missed it.

Foo Hui Xian
093594R
DA0901


No comments:

Post a Comment