Monday, January 17, 2011

My Younger days were spent going out with my Grandparents, my family was very close-knit, thus my siblings, cousins and I would always enjoy our Sunday trips to Chinatown, where our Grandparents would tell us stories of their past and point out places where they would used to play at or lived.

I was too young to notice, but as I think back, they all had the nostalgic look in their eyes, an emotion I was too young to even experience yet.

Being the odd one in the family, I enjoyed walking and exploring the urband jungle that is Singapore, and in my quest I've uncovered many intresting places, although the main objective of this was to find hidden gems of great FOOD, I was always surprised to find places I never knew existed, nor survived the mordernisation of Singapore.

My grandparents, have left this world, and I dearly miss them. And as I was alighting of the bus in the middle of Chinatown, I felt a wave of nostalgia.

I used to roam this palce as a kid. And As much as the landscaped had changed, I recalled certain aspects that kept their charm. Mainly the buidings that, even with so many new coats of paint, had that feel of well  ageing.

I'm glad to be able to expierience what my Grandparents felt, Chinatown has taken a special place in my heart, for whenever I go there, I reminiscence, and I feel that, by allowing myself to reminiscence, I get to feel a little of what my grandparents felt.

Singapore is slowly changing, and I hope as much as the enviroment changed, Chinatown would still be the little gem in the middle.

Kelvin Kang
094172T

No comments:

Post a Comment